What is a "bottom line"???

According to Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia, there are numerous "bottom lines"...a biweekly alternative newspaper at the University of California Santa Barbara, the running scores and news for ESPN (the ticker at the bottom of the screen); net income (revenue minus costs and expenses); music venue in New York City's Greenwich Village; a World Wrestling Entertainment syndicated television show; catch phrase of Stone Cold Steve Austin and John Vespa; a publishing company...and my backside!!!!

Thursday, January 13, 2011

January in Atlanta....Really?

This has been a dismal week for me…first all of the snow, which led to ice, which led to two days off of work (Monday and Tuesday). I am sure that it was out of boredom, but my eating habits were horrible…not sure if it was just the wrench in my planned week (I am a creature of habit, after all!), the cabin fever, or something else…but I just ate and ate. The food choices were not too bad (luckily, we didn’t have a lot of “junk” in the house), but I ate a lot! When I am at work, I am not sure if it’s just the planning that saves me, the lack of an abundance of food or what…but at home, I have no self-control…NONE! Needless to say, I was ready to go back to work by the end of Snowcalypse 2011…and by Day 2…I was looking for anything (and I do mean anything) that would keep me out of the kitchen and away from the fridge.


Anyway—back to work yesterday (which was an equally harrowing experience, driving into work with ice to complicate the commute!). I made it to and from work without incident…which was apparently a huge feat! Anyway…today was a bit more normal, thankfully! Of course, losing 2 days of month end close due to Mother Nature has provided its challenges..but we are on our way!!! Yay!!!

Then, I found out that we are likely not to get paid for Monday and Tuesday’s closure. I guess that in the grand scheme, it’s not a huge ordeal…but the company was closed!!! I understand that if you didn’t make it in when the company was open that perhaps one should have to use vacation time or something…but the company was CLOSED…should we have risked life and limb to get here? Apparently so. I know that it’s a bunch of whining…but I was not expecting that revelation. The decision hasn’t really been finalized…and it’s not my boss that is fighting it…but the VP of the company. I would think that morale would deeply be affected if they decide to stick with his decision. Oh well…will worry about that when it’s more of a reality, I guess.

Another big  massive step in the right direction…I have signed up for the Country Music Half Marathon in Nashville, TN! I am hopeful that this will keep me motivated (and help me undo some of this week’s damage) to train and do this the right way. One of my great friends (also named Kim…and the similarities in our lives don’t end there) has signed up for it…and since we tend to do better working together, we are going to do this! We completed 13.1 miles over 2 years ago. I don’t think that either one of us really trained the way we should have, but it didn’t help that Pottygate struck! Kim went to the port-a-potty at mile 2…and tripped when she came out and twisted her ankle. Against our better judgment, she trudged on (walking mostly, but at one point, I thought she might have to crawl)…and we did finish (won’t even begin to discuss the passive aggressive behavior study that she could have completed, too…”I can’t”…”I didn’t go this far not to finish”…). At any rate, we did finish…which was our only goal (okay, so we didn’t want to exceed the official time or be last, either…we met those goals, too (barely!)!). Anyway…the date is April 30…about 15 weeks from now. I have a 13 week training plan…that’s a “Beginner Walk/Run” training program. Stay tuned for details of how that’s working out for us…Anyway, I am looking forward to revisiting (hopefully not crawling) through Nashville.  I love that city!!!  (And am hopeful that I will get to see some country music superstars...okay, Chris Young! while I am there).  I think that I am equally excited about having someone at the finish line cheering me on (I have never had that...and always think that it's super cool...and am secretly envious of those that do!).  My mother in law has said that she will come down (from Louisville, KY) if it's after tax season (how quaint! It is!!!  April 30th is way after April 15th!!!).  Plus, Kim will have her kids and Mom there, too (and I consider those kiddos and Mom mine, too!).  Will be super exciting!!! 

Anyway--think that's enough big news for today!!!

Be good...and if you can't be good, then be good at it!!!

1 comment:

  1. Woo Hoo!!! I'm so glad you and Kim decided to do this together....how awesome!! :)

    ReplyDelete

Discuss amongst yourselves...here, I will give you a topic (Wait--I already have!). Comments, constructive criticism (and even not so constructive) are welcome...