What is a "bottom line"???

According to Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia, there are numerous "bottom lines"...a biweekly alternative newspaper at the University of California Santa Barbara, the running scores and news for ESPN (the ticker at the bottom of the screen); net income (revenue minus costs and expenses); music venue in New York City's Greenwich Village; a World Wrestling Entertainment syndicated television show; catch phrase of Stone Cold Steve Austin and John Vespa; a publishing company...and my backside!!!!

Wednesday, July 7, 2010

Two Roads...

"Two roads diverged in a yellow wood,
And sorry I could not travel both
And be one traveler, long I stood..."
That's how one of my favorite poems of all times begins...and I know this because I had to memorize it back in the ninth grade (thank you, Ms. McDaniel...for it's one of the lessons that I most reference, even today...). I am sure that you know it...but it helps me to type it here. The poem, "The Road Not Taken" by Robert Frost.

 This is kind of me...kind of where I am.  There are many decisions that I have to make---and for anyone who knows me, this does not come easily or naturally.  I tend to overthink, overanalyze, and will absolutely, positively, second guess most every decision I make.  The only decision that I can think of that I readily made with wreckless abandon was when Wonderful Husband proposed to me.  (Yes, I was in shock...but I said YES! almost immediately).  Any and every other decision causes me to waiver, lose sleep over, and totally second guess myself.  Trust me, while in college, I could know the material inside and out--but left to my own devices on a multiple choice test, I would talk myself out of a correct answer most of the time.  I guess some may call that yielding to pressure, lack of self confidence, lack of (true) knowledge...whatever it is, it terrifies me to think that I will make a wrong choice.  How idiotic is that?  Most choices are not life altering decisions--choosing what to wear to work (ultimately with nearly three closets full of clothes, this is a daily chore when getting ready for work), what to have for dinner (problem is usually averted because Wonderful Husband cooks dinner just about every night), what route to take to work, which lane at the grocery store...the meaningless (little) decisions are endless.  So what is one to do when confronted with a potentially life altering decision???  (Avoidance...think about it another day...).

So, let me think about the most recent decisions I have made...
  1. The decision to start back on a healthy eating plan.  This was easy enough...I know that I feel way better when eating and exercising the way that I should.  I tend to gain confidence when someone notices something positive in me.
  2. The decision to make a potential commitment to (hopefully definitely) change my career path.  Since most don't know me, my journey to complete my undergraduate business degree was a long (and I like to think distinguished one...albeit costly).   So, when I graduated, the last thing I wanted to do was pursue a post-graduate degree or put in the work to a CPA designation.   Well, I am almost 100% convinced that I need to do something to better myself...and this is for me.  Not necessarily more money (per se) but for personal professional satisfaction.  I am still completing research which includes a call to the Secretary of State's office tomorrow that will help solidify my course of action.
  3. The decision to start this blog.  I have been reading many blogs as of late...each one brings its own unique take and information.  While I don't profess to know each and every one you as my new BFF--I feel like we share a sort of connection.  I am so happy that I finally took the time to start this adventure (and therapy session).  I have a newfound appreciation for all of you that post each and every day...Wow!  I just don't know how you do it...but am willing to learn.
  4. The decision to sign up for another 10K...on Labor Day (US 10K Classic).   This one will be another challenge...and while it's big, the turnout won't be nearly as big as Peachtree Road Race was.  I have done this event...2 years ago.  But by signing up for this today--will help ensure that I continue on my exercise plan.  (It's on the calendar in pen...because active.com does not refund registration fees!).  I did pay extra for the time chip...so this will allow me to work to trim time off of my previous 10K, which is all that I really aspire to do.
Well, those are four decisions that I have made recently...some a bit more serious and have a bit more impact to my life as I know it now...but all in all I hope that these decisions are the right ones--if not, then I will just have to make another decision...So, if you want to know the entire poem (well worth the read, I promise)...you should go and look it up online...the best lines (which happens to be the end)...
"Two roads diverged in a wood, and I—
I took the one less traveled by,
And that has made all the difference."
Hoping that this week is still great for you...Until next time...
Cheers!

3 comments:

  1. Oh I've always loved that poem!! That's the kind of person I've always wanted to be....the one that took the road less traveled by. I have a problem making decisions too, but I'm better about it now than I used to be as far as the little ones go....it's because I was driving myself absolutely NUTS with my indecisiveness, so I just started shouting out a decision in my mind and stuck to it, lol. Chicken or fish for dinner?? FISH! Going to the lake or the park this wknd? LAKE!! Ever going to finish college or just continue being a loser with no degree?? (Still on the fence with that one, lmao). I'll be praying for you in your decision-making with whether or not to pursue the CPA....I'm not sure if I've asked you this or not, but do you definitely want to continue to do something with #'s, or do you have any kind of desire to do something completely different??? Just checking before you make the huge commitment to studying for the CPA and putting all that money out there! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I avoid the life altering decisions and can't decide on little things either. I'm hoping gaining some confidence back again will help with that. I think you've made some great decision!

    ReplyDelete

Discuss amongst yourselves...here, I will give you a topic (Wait--I already have!). Comments, constructive criticism (and even not so constructive) are welcome...