What is a "bottom line"???

According to Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia, there are numerous "bottom lines"...a biweekly alternative newspaper at the University of California Santa Barbara, the running scores and news for ESPN (the ticker at the bottom of the screen); net income (revenue minus costs and expenses); music venue in New York City's Greenwich Village; a World Wrestling Entertainment syndicated television show; catch phrase of Stone Cold Steve Austin and John Vespa; a publishing company...and my backside!!!!

Friday, November 12, 2010

My New Plan...

I am going to try and adapt a new exercise plan…simply getting to the gym is apparently not enough for me…I need some structure and some sort of plan…I don’t typically do weights on my own…but maybe if I have some guidance through this plan from Calorie Count, I can make it work. (Special thanks to Katie J. for finding this plan and posting on her blog…HOPEFULLY by having the plan and someone to hold me accountable and that I am accountable to(you, my readers, if there are any of you left), I can work it out!!!). So, all of this is for tomorrow’s workout…since Saturday is my weigh in day at Weight Watchers (oh my goodness…will be officially on record again)…then no time like the beginning of my week to start Day 1 of this plan. The plan seems to be equally easy to follow with lots of options. I look forward to posting all of the happenings that tomorrow brings…Be warned...I will be posting the good, the bad, and the ugly!!!


Note:  I learned some new terms on this plan...for example, RPE refers to the Borg Perceived Exertion Scale (see below for description of the scale as it relates to the workout plan). 
  • Level 1: I'm watching TV and eating bon bons
  • Level 2: I'm comfortable and could maintain this pace all day long
  • Level 3: I'm still comfortable, but am breathing a bit harder
  • Level 4: I'm sweating a little, but feel good and can carry on a conversation effortlessly
  • Level 5: I'm just above comfortable, am sweating more and can still talk easily
  • Level 6: I can still talk, but am slightly breathless
  • Level 7: I can still talk, but I don't really want to. I'm sweating like a pig
  • Level 8: I can grunt in response to your questions and can only keep this pace for a short time
  • Level 9: I am probably going to die
  • Level 10: I am dead
For the most part, longer workouts should be kept to an intensity of 5 or lower and for the interval training...there will be short spurts of activity that is level 7-8.  I am sure that I will feel like everything is a Level 9...:)

Day 1...Cardio and Stretching  (All of this is courtesy of Calorie Count (Exercise Plan). 

Duration                     The Workout                                RPE

5 Minutes                             Warm up: Start with a moderate pace to gradually warm up                                3-4



2 Minutes        Baseline: Increase incline/resistance and speed to slightly higher than comfortable pace.             5


2 Minutes                 Pyramid Up: Increase the incline/resistance 2% every 15 seconds                                      7


2 Minutes                 Pyramid Down: Decrease incline/resistance 2% every 15 seconds                                       7


1 Minute                          Sprint: Move as fast as you can                                                                             8


2 Minutes                                            Baseline                                                                                                  5


2 Minutes                 Pyramid Up: Increase the incline/resistance 2% every 15 seconds                                          7


2 Minutes                 Pyramid Down: Decrease incline/resistance 2% every 15 seconds                                          7


1 Minute Hill Sprint: Increase incline/resistance by 8-10%, keeping speed moderate until you reach Level 8        8-9


2 Minutes                               Baseline: Decrease incline/resistance to baseline                                                      5


2 Minutes                              Sprint: Move as fast as you can                                                                           8


2 Minutes                   Baseline: Decrease speed to recover back to baseline                                                          5


5 minutes                                             Cool down                                                                             3-4

Total Self Inflicted TourtureWorkout Time: 30 minutes

(Sorry about the formatting of that info...obviously user error here...copy and paste was not my friend and I couldn't get the stuff lined up...YUCKO!!!)...Hopefully you get the drift...
 
After the workout, I will complete a series of stretches...I am only listing below the stretches.  The website has pictures and descriptions of how to complete each stretch.  (Note:  This is a very good thing for those of us (ME) that might not know the technical terms and do better with a visual diagram/photo!).
 
Stretches
Hip/Glute Stretch
Hamstring Stretch
Inner Thigh Stretch
Lunge Stretch
Kneeling Hamstring Stretch
Piriformis Stretch
Knees to Chest
Knee to Chest
Calf Stretch
Kneeling Calf Stretch
Spine Twist
Quad Stretch
 
 
So, this looks like a full workout Saturday for me...Stay tuned for weigh in results (scary...and it's not even Halloween...but there were some Halloween treats ingested!) and my workout/stretch results...
 

1 comment:

  1. This reminds me of a great post I read not too long ago in which the blogger asked if we are exercising or training. I realized that I am merely exercising. And wondered if the time had come to push myself. Probably.

    ReplyDelete

Discuss amongst yourselves...here, I will give you a topic (Wait--I already have!). Comments, constructive criticism (and even not so constructive) are welcome...